Tanya Davies MP. Member for Mulgoa.

HEAVY LIFTING OVER THE HOLIDAY PERIOD

Wednesday November 15, 2017

The NSW Government is removing a public holiday curfew for special purpose vehicles, cutting red tape for business.

 

Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight Melinda Pavey said removing the curfew for cranes and special purpose vehicles during the holidays would improve productivity and efficiency. 

 

“The annual curfew between 23 December 2017 and 3 January 2018 will be removed as well as for all other public holidays,” Mrs Pavey said.

 

“This is a great move for industry and shows the NSW Government has listened to the concerns of crane operators.

 

“Removal of the curfew is an economic win, ridding negative flow-on effects to the crane industry and other sectors of the economy.”

 

The Crane Industry Council of Australia (CICA) CEO, Brandon Hitch added, “Cranes only traverse the road network when needed to get to jobs to perform lifts.  Minister Pavey’s removal of Christmas curfew red tape is a great example of listening to industry’s request to better serve their clients in the community.  Well done.”

 

Member for Mulgoa Tanya Davies said the changes to curfew would stimulate jobs within her community and across the state, where a number of different successfully operators reside. 

 

“The changes would allow for better time management and permit crane operators to do skyscraper maintenance in the Sydney CBD without holiday restrictions, creating more work opportunities for our local community” Tanya Davies said. 

 

“The review of the public holiday and Christmas curfew found that the relaxed restrictions would not affect traffic safety. The current curfew was established in 1996 and was introduced to reduce the impact and risk of oversize vehicles on holiday traffic.

 

“The state’s road network has improved significantly since then, with wider roads and more opportunities to overtake, meaning the curfew on cranes is no longer needed.”

 

Critical safety requirements such as warning lights, markers and permits for oversize vehicles will still be required to ensure safety of all road users.

 

Roads and Maritime will work closely with the National Heavy Vehicle regulator to remove the restrictions, which will be completed before the year’s end.

 

Media Contact: Angela Maltese (02) 9834 2966