Tuesday April 10, 2012
The RAID Action Group's petition against the proposed industrial dump in Orchard Hills was debated last week in the NSW Parliament. As a result of changes made by the O'Farrell Government, all petitions with over 10,000 signatures are debated in the Legislative Assembly.
Member for Mulgoa, Tanya Davies MP, who originally tabled the petition, told NSW Parliament that the proposed dump at Orchard Hills will denigrate the rural, peaceful nature of Orchard Hills, will adversely affect the community's health and amenity, and will threaten the critically endangered Cumberland Woodplain conservation corridor.
"Machinery, truck movements, noise, dust and contaminates are all proposed within 500 meters of an estate where families are being raised, retirees have settled and home-based businesses are being run." Mrs Davies told parliament.
Mr Tony Maltese is a member of the RAID Action Group and was present for the debate in the public gallery of the Legislative Assembly. Mr Maltese said that the debate was another step in what has been a long fight.
"We formed the RAID group with Tanya's help back in 2010, we have fought every step of the way with letters of objection, community meetings and this petition." Mr Maltese said.
The proposal was initially rejected and the applicant, Dellara Pty Ltd appealed the decision to the Land and Environment Court. The case has been heard and the RAID group are now anxiously waiting for a decision, which is expected soon.
Mrs Davies ended her speech by saying “Over 14,500 petitioners call on the Premier and Minister for Western Sydney Barry O’Farrell, in the event that the Land and Environment Court approves Dellara’s proposal, to do all within his and the government’s power, accessing the best barristers and regardless of the cost, to fight such approval,” Mrs Davies said.